Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I am a pretty BIG deal



It occurs to me, quite regularly, how easy it is to feel incompetent as a mother.  As a wife.  As head of a household (which, I know, husbands & fathers feel is their job, but, let's be real.  We all know who's keeping the Titanic from hittin' an iceberg)

I constantly walk around consumed with the feeling that I can't provide, keep up, compare.  The fact that I am inept must be blatantly obvious to all outside observers.  I might as well wear a flashing sign on my shirt that says "LOSER".

I'm not a MILF.  My youth is fleeting (and I do use the word *youth* loosely).  My body has literally flown south for the winter (and will probably never migrate north again).  My cuticles are in complete dissrepair.  I haven't had any kind of *spa experience* since 2008.  My favorite ensemble is a pair of fleece pants and an old t-shirt (complete with holes).  I am not UP on the current trends.  I couldn't even tell you what movies are in the theaters right now.

But, then, comes a moment of clarity.  A moment that makes me stop.  Take a deep breath.  And smile..........I am completely necessary to the 3 people I love most in this world

Without me, my husband would not be able to find his toothbrush, a bar of soap, his belt, a bandaid, the front door........

My children wouldn't have clean clothes, a hot meal, a referee, a boo-boo kisser, a tushie wiper, an activities director, a cheerleader or a voice of reason.

To them, I could rope the moon.  I could turn coal into diamonds..............I might as well be Gandhi.

Nobody loves them like I do.  And no one will ever love me, or need me, the way they do.

To the world, I am just one person.  But to these 3 people..... who hold my heart....... I am the world.

And I think that's pretty cool.

3 comments:

  1. I decided the other day that I was going to just accept that I am getting older and that I am a good mother who loves her kid. PERIOD. Not that there isn't room for improvement, but when it comes right down to it, I don't REALLY care about things like being a MILF (although I kind of wish I was) or having a house Martha Stewart would envy. Because if I REALLY cared, I would be trying to do those things.

    I agree. Knowing that my kid and my guy love and need me is gratification enough...at least for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously phenomenal post. LOVE that you mention all the things you do b/c those things all matter. Oh and this: "We all know who's keeping the Titanic from hittin' an iceberg” brilliant :))

    K
    NewParent.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely perfect!!! I love every word :o)

    ReplyDelete