Sunday, June 26, 2011

INhumane Treatment



So, I think it's safe to say, I like to "write" my feelings.  Okay, and "drink" them too, but, whatever.

Anyway, upon a recent visit to the local SPCA to adopt a dog (because I clearly lack enough chaos and drama in my life), I was in amazement at the stupidity, self-righteousness, and utter rudeness of the "adoption counselor" who interviewed us as a potential adoptive family.  Seriously.  I felt like I was on trial.

Apparently, you need to sign a contract in blood, donate a kidney, and agree that if the dog bites your child in the face, it's the child's fault, not the dogs. I got the feeling they would rather you give up your child in this situation, than relinquish an aggressive animal.  Because, who doesn't want to live in a home where they feel their life is being threatened by a four-legged creature??!  Right?

After waking up this morning, I still couldn't let it go.  So, I wrote a letter the SPCA we visited, as well as the ASPCA, and now I'm passing it along to you.  I feel my soul might be able to rest now.  A little bit.  Maybe.


To whom it may concern:

I am writing to you with sadness and disappointment over the way my family was treated on a recent visit to the Wake County SPCA facility, in hopes of finding a dog to adopt. 

We sat down to what we thought would begin the "interview" process in which to find a good fit for our family, consisting of my husband, myself and 2 young children.  What it ended up becoming, was not an interview, but an interrogation.
 

I am strongly concerned about the qualifications of the "adoption counselors" at this facility.  She was rude, condescending, and very self-righteous.  I have a degree in Animal Science.  I have been a Licensed Veterinary Nurse for ten years.  I worked in the same specialty hospital for almost 12 years before deciding to be a stay at home mother.  I have donated several hours of my life to working in shelters and with various rescue organizations in order to treat and rehabilitate sick and abused animals.  I have worked among amazing veterinarians treating animals that were lost and injured during Hurricane Katrina, as well as some of the pit-bulls rescued from the Michael Vick compound.  Over the years, I have donated funds to the ASPCA.

Does this make me a perfect person?  Of course not.  But I do believe I am worthy of respect, especially when reaching out to adopt an animal in need of a good home.  I find it extremely disheartening that an organization such as the SPCA employs people with this caliber of flippancy towards others.

I completely agree that potential adoptive families should go through an interview procedure and, perhaps, even counseling services.  However, I feel this should be done by qualified  individuals, with actual social skills. 

I sincerely hope this was an isolated incident, and that other families/couples/individuals have not been treated this way at this particular facility, or any other.  Regardless, it is for this reason, the poor and insulting treatment of myself and my family, that we will choose another avenue to adopt a pet.

1 comment:

  1. I love your letter. You go girl!

    XOXO

    The Brainless Housewife :P
    http://thebrainlesshousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete