Monday, February 28, 2011

"Boo-Boo Eye"

My 2 year old's first sentence.  Actually, 2 of the only 5 words she knows. 

And it really comes as no surprise. 

Most people don't believe me when I tell them that BOTH of my children are a walking-self-inflicted-head-injury waiting to happen.  It's true.  And I have the proof.
((The following events occurred between November 2010 and February 2011.  The photos have not been altered in any way))

Let me state for the record that I DO make sure they are actually all right before I take pictures.  But, I need to have SOME kind of documentation for later in life when I'm being carted off in a straight jacket.

This happened at school one day.  I got a call that he tripped and fell face first into a wood chair.  The exact words used by the school nurse when I went to pick him up: "It actually looks much better than it did initially.  We were worried!"

Listen lady, this is the story of my life.

This happened 2 days after the wood chair fiasco.  He was pretending to be Spiderman, and tried to jump onto an electrical box, only his feet didn't actually "stick" (as the superhero's would have).  His body kept going and his face met the concrete.

 This lovely trip to the urgent care, was caused by a fall on the sidewalk.  Just walking.  No superhero attempts being made.  Just walking.

We were on our way to a dear friends house for a Christmas-cookie-making playdate, and (of course) this happened as we were walking up to the front door.
 I banged loudly on the door, which was opened by a woman I had never met before, begged her to take my 5 year old for me and then ran to the car.
Hello panic attack.

Then, I became the crazy lady who runs screaming into the full pediatrician's office...
"head injury!!  HELP!! She's going to die!!!".
Yep.  That was me.

This was taken approximately five days after the "sidewalk incident", which just goes to show you how severe the injury was.  Although, nothing more serious became of it.
Thank you, JESUS!!
I can't even begin to tell you how many strange looks we received in public.

So, you might think this story ends here.  Oh, no.............stay tuned.

During a visit to our local library, she evidently had a run-in with a book shelf.  I'm not entirely sure what happened, since I was busy checking out books (trying to be a good influence by reading to my kids and all.  And look where it gets me). 
 After the dramatics and public humiliation of this event, let's just say we won't be back to that particular library any time soon.

Being that we had just visited the pediatrician's office after the last "head trauma scare", I knew that although she looked like a human cyclopes, it probably wasn't necessary to rush her in.  So, we went home, and I kept a close eye on her.

I did.  I swear.

You can imagine the sheer terror, when I left the room for a moment, and came back to find this........

YES.  I thought she was dead.

So............ I picked poor, sweet, sleeping baby up and shook her awake.

Never a dull moment in this house.

These are just a few of the many photos in the Days of Our Lives.  It's a miracle I don't stay curled up in a fetal position all day.

I would personally like to thank medical professionals, who remain calm in these situations; Google, for allowing a stressed out mommy to look up "signs of a concussion"; my amazing friends, who help me laugh my way through these moments; Elmo, Woody & Buzz, who kiss my babies' boo-boo's and make them feel all better; and any and all makers of wine & 'happy pills', for providing me with the vices I need in these challenging times.

1 comment:

  1. It's not easy being two. My kids are now 4 and 6 so I hear ya! I hope everyone's better and rested. Please join me on my blog